1. have more cardholders than Visa
2. more outlets than McDonalds and
3. move more items than FedEx.
4. In 48 BC, Julius Ceasar accidentally burnt down the greatest library in the ancient world, the Royal Library of Alexandria, when he set fire to his own ships in a battle. The resultant firestorm swept from the docks to the Royal Library destroying its priceless 400,000 scrolls. Cleopatra by all accounts, was not amused.
5. According to the Guinness Book of Records, the largest library in the world is the US Library of Congress with an estimated 30 million books.
6. The National Library of Australia holds over 2.7 million books including the largest collection of Australian printed material in the world.
7. Giacomo Casanova, legendary lover and author, spent the latter part of his life as a librarian. Employed to catalogue Count Waldstein of Bohemia’s collection, he apparently did nothing but write books and attend to his own correspondence (bad librarian, very bad librarian).
8. The Guinness Book of Records holds the record for the book most often stolen from public libraries.
10. It’s Library Week (in Australia at any rate), so get thee to a bibliotheca to celebrate. 🙂